by Rundaasaa Asheetee*
As mortals we all must die. But the Oromummaa we observe in our diverse dances, songs and lyrics is eternal. Looked at without comprehension of this truth, Oromummaa is a bleak, final and ever changing.
For that reason, creating OROMO CULTURE DAY that will be celebrated as the anniversary of the greatest civilization in human history is very important. The OROMO CULTRE must be celebrated because it is the foundation of who we are as human beings. Our culture encompasses everything that we are and it tells our diverse stories. The Habashas have a statue for their kings but we have our culture that has been around ever since humanity began upon the earth. It is our common Oromo statue.
GUYYAA AADAA OROMO will be a 3-days celebration and it starts three days before Irreechaa.
1. GUYYAA AADAA OROMO officially starts on Friday and finishes on the day Irrechaa begins.
2. GUYYAA AADAA OROMO is the day of pleasure in which people eat, sing, dance and celebrate all Oromo local culture.
3. One of the greatest elements of GUYYAA AADAA OROMO is that it provides entertainment for all Oromos around the world and it also gives all Oromos a chance to learn about the true culture of Oromia. This holiday is very important to the Oromo people because it sums up our way of thinking and way of life.
4. During GUYYAA AADAA OROMO celebration day, people will come together virtually from every corner of Oromia to every local towns and cities and dance and have fun.
5. GUYYAA AADAA OROMO is a euphoric event where people dance, sing, party and have an overdose of fun. It allows someone’s true heart to come out and have as much fun as possible.
6. GUYYAA AADAA OROMO is the result of months of preparation. People will eagerly anticipate the start of each year’s GUYYAA AADAA OROMO.
7.GUYYAA AADAA OROMO begins with the blessing of local and national elders or abbaa Gadaa. It is a celebration that will take place all over the place, in the streets and squares, bars, and all other venues, taking over the whole city of FINFINNEE, Dirreedhowaa, Harar, Balee, Asallaa, Naqamtee, Gimbii, Ambo, Waliso, Adaamaa, Bishooftuu, Mojoo etc.
8. On GUYYAA AADAA OROMO celebration day, street venders sell foods after obtaining license from local officials .
9. During this holiday, Oromo musical bands compose music and sell them, books will be sold, Oromo cultural attires will be available for sell by venders etc.
10. This holiday will be glamorized via television, radio, websites, Facebook etc
11. No authority can use this day for propaganda purposes because it is a crazy day where everybody dances, laughs and have fun.
12. This day will be a living proof of Oromo passion for their culture. It’s free, and everybody’s welcome to participate.
*The writer can be reached at the email: firstname.lastname@example.org